Sunday, October 16, 2011

Plastic


So I was reading a blog yesterday with this picture. Its basically saying that a model needs this much plastic surgery to look like Barbie and even though it is surgically possible, we shouldn't be doing it. When I started reading this story, I like the idea behind it, it makes the notion of trying to look like barbie seem ridiculous. Everyone, even models have their imperfections and instead of trying to change them, we should be embracing them.

The part that made me really sad was that a 15 year old girl saw this photo and thought "if a girl as pretty as that has to change so much to be perfect, it made me wonder how much more I’d have to change." It's so terrible to have young girls thinking like that, it leaves me speechless.

I keep thinking about this story and it makes me want to take action. I want to encourage girls to feel good about themselves and stop comparing themselves to other girls. Everyone has their flaws and insecurities. Instead of trying to mould ourselves into this cookie-cutter view of what's beautiful, we should accepting of ourselves and of each other.

Keep your chin up girls!

3 comments:

  1. plastic surgery is for losers:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girls are socialized to believe that their only contribution to the world is their outer appearance. It's tragic. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cylia and L, thanks for your comments! It is tragic that girls are socialized in a way that makes them think that plastic surgery is their only option. At the end of the day, plastic surgery can't fix a lack of confidence and unhappiness. If we don't fix our mindset and our way of thinking, we're always going to want to fix something about our appearance.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! Leave your link so I can check you out too!

xoxo